Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mama's Not Allowed in the Kitchen

O.K., so I got up early this morning to make
my dear darling hubby oatmeal pancakes--
inspired by a healthy recipe in this month's
Family Circle magazine.  I entered banned 
(for me) territory, i.e. the kitchen.

Anyone who's fallen victim, I mean, been blessed
by one of my healthy gourmet creations would
be proud to know I only switched up two ingredients
this time.  Having only 2 of the 2 1/2 c. of buttermilk
called for, I substituted 1/2 c. cottage cheese for the rest.
And of course, white flour is a toxin, so I substituted spelt
flour, an ancient whole wheat grain.

Having heard me clanging around in the kitchen at dawn, 
my handsome hubby came down the stairs, warily entering 
the kitchen, scanning the counters for signs of ingredient 
swapping.  Little did he know, I had already gotten rid of
the evidence.  Warily, he sat down and took one bite of
the 1" high flapjacks the size of dinner plates.

He chewed for a good minute.  "What are these lumps?" 
he mumbled, mouth full, while trying to swallow.  
"Seriously, what did you do to these?  How can you screw 
up pancakes? "

"What lumps?" I asked innocently...     

Drat!  Caught again.

Funny how hilarity puts me into limerick mode:

The healthy baker of Hudson
Tries to earn the love of her husband
     By making culinary creations
     Some real tummy titillations

That result in abdominal obstruction!

Nope!  Mama ain't allowed in the kitchen no more!


No comments:

Post a Comment