Sunday, July 24, 2011

Poem Prayer: Tarry here with me awhile



Won't you tarry with me awhile?
Lord, help me to tarry here with you--
Time treads on, leaving bootprints heavy on my heart.
I catch a glimpse of you in the steady sandfall
conforming to the narrow glass neck
then falling freely around my shoulders like rain.
Lord, teach me
hone me
heal me
refine me
transform me
temper me
grow me patience
from the inside out.
Alas, you seem a cruel teacher,
nudging me along through stages
slow
of   letting   go....
beckoning me to sit and tarry here awhile.
When I grapple with you,
pseudo-suppliant,
attempting through words to conjure you
into doing my bidding
to conform to my agenda
or meet me half-way.
You rise
--oblivious resistance--
s l  o   w    i     n     g           racing
vary-ing - your - speed - based - on
the grace of your kairos,
not the sweep of the hands on my Timex.
You glance back to see if I will follow.
I may hesitate, dig my toe into the sand,
yet not one to pass up the chance to dance
when my eyes meet yours and I see
your sincerity...feel embraced in your unconditional love.
Teach me, O precious Lord,
to tarry here with you awhile.

Katherine L. Harris Szerdy------Copyright 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment